Smart Wayside Accelerometric Network for Track - SWAN-T
SWAN-T is a WCM (Wheel Condition Monitoring) system, that thanks to a particular construction architecture and to an innovative elaboration scheme of the data, is capable of extracting information content from the measurement of the accelerations generated on the track at the transition of each wheel, providing automatically both a quantitative evaluation of the rail stress, and a synthetic Quality Wheel Index (QWI).
SWAN-T provides a QWI for each wheel of a train, classifying them into three synthetic levels, L0-L1-L2, represented in green-yellow-red colors.
SWAN-T is able to recognize the number of the transited train plate and then uniquely identifies a wheel so as to monitor it over time.
SWAN-T provides valuable information on the quality of the rolling surface of each wheel, in order to perform an “on condition” maintenance of the rolling stock, reducing maintenance costs and increasing operating safety.
Its main features are:
- Automatic data acquisition, validation and elaboration;
- Automatic QWI calculation and alarm generation per single wheel;
- On-site storage of the acquired data, and automatic transfer to a dedicated server;
- Identification through dynamic wheel imprint;
- Identification through automatically shooted photographs;
- Remote system control;
- Self-diagnostics and downgraded working capability;
- Web based platform for visualization of acquired data;
- User-friendly data management interface;
- Two-way traffic;
- Highly repeatable measurements;
- Easy management and maintenance;
- No limit to the length of the train;
- Optionally powered by a photovoltaic system;
- Sensors installation to the rail by superglue – no track alteration required;
- High resistance in potentially hostile environments.